1966 : # the Igbos coup
“In 1966 a deadly coup which has been tagged #the Igbos coup took place in Nigeria with an attempt to hijack power for chief Awolowo to become the prime minister, but a new study revealed the people behind the coup and it seems the Igbos has been vindicated and exonerated.
Below are the People involved in that 1966 # Igbos coup:
- Major Chukwuma Kaduna Nzeogwu (Midwest Region Igbo)
- Major Adewale Ademoyega (Western Region – Yoruba), author of “Why we struck”
- Capt. G. Adeleke (Western Region – Yoruba).
- Maj. Ifeajuna (Midwestern Region – Igbo).
- Lt. Fola Oyewole (Western Region – Yoruba), author of “The reluctant rebel”.
- *Lt. Robert (Bob) Egbiko* (Midwestern Region – Ishan).
- Lt. Tijani Katsina (Northern Region – Hausa/Fulani).
- Lt. O. Olafemiyan (Western Region – Yoruba).
- Capt. Gibson Jalo (Northern Region – Bachama).
- Capt. Swanton (Northern Region – Middle Belt).
- Lt. Hope Harris Eghagha (Midwest – Urhobo).
- Lt. Dag Warribor (Midwest – Ijaw)
- 2nd Lt. Saleh Dambo (Northern Nigeria -Hausa)
- 2nd Lt. John Atom Kpera (Northern Nigeria-Tiv).
The list above shows that 4- yoruba, 2- Igbo, 1 -Urhobo, 1- Bachama, 1- Ishan, 1 – Ijaw , 3- Hausa personnel’s and 1- tiv. All this was done for Awolowo to become the prime minister. With these facts, can one still call the excise an Igbo coup?
Add your comment